Thursday, January 5, 2012

POWER AND CONTROL

Long run day is now on Thursdays - a wonderful culmination to a week of build up, and a good excuse for a really early lunch. Week two of training meant our first long run with a race simulation element, so 6 miles at easy pace, 6 at race pace and then a 2 mile cool down. I have noticed how easy these tempo type runs are to do solo, but hadn't had the pleasure of one with Q-Less before. I am beginning to remember why I always ran behind her and Merciless last time - the minute all three of us were in a row we collectively started racing each other, so I would sit behind at the tip of a triangle imagining they were both reindeer and they were Donner and Blitzer pulling me along on a sleigh, and would occasionally yell 'mush mush'. Either that or I got to hang out with Nonetheless who was altogether a more mellow runner, amazing, considering she is such a beast on the tennis court. Today when we picked up the pace into Manayunk I was struggling mentally and feeling slow and realized it was because Q-Less is entirely incapable of running alongside me and is permanently positioned a foot ahead. This tactic, coupled with the fact that her legs are a good 6 inches longer than mine, was creating a sense of 'struggle' or effort in my own mind, that wasn't usually there. For our race portion we hit the intimidating mile long Shawmont Hill, and Cheri sensibly suggested single file and said I should head up as she had led last week. Within a few moments of taking the lead I saw her looming over my right shoulder and edging ahead back into her familiar spot, - when I barked 'Ya just couldn't help yourself could ya!" she meekly claimed she meant I was allowed to lead later in the hill, but right now there were not too many cars. I should have taken this as a sign! I motored steadily up the hill trying to work on rhythm and keep a constant pace; it wasn't a staggering pace, but the 8.30 min per mile wasn't bad considering what a long and boring hill it is. Just before we crested the hill I became aware of a strangled gurgling behind me and glanced back to see Q-Less writhing in agony - seconds later she had to do the unthinkable and walk, due to a bad stomach cramp. Now when Q-less runs that hill and leads, she starts easy then charges the last few minutes and is every bit as strong, and probably stronger a runner than I am. What had undone her was a fatal 'lack of control', the minute she had to follow me she felt as if she couldn't keep up, and it was too hard. A two second rest saw her totally recovered, but we both learnt something useful about running, especially distance running, which is in a race 26 miles long, competing is not always helpful, you have to learn to control your own pace and lock out the distraction of what other runners are doing.

The run was also an excuse to debut some recent purchases, a wonderful line of clothing from the running store I work at; made by Mizuno the fabric has an exothermic property, wicking away moisture then heating it up to keep you really toasty. Q-Less and I were taking bets on whether having a hot hoo ha, or toasty cha cha would help on a long run, and I was happy to report my stride was doing just fine up that long hill, protected as I was by schnazzy new tights.

Diving into Cedars Cafe for homemade artichoke and field mushroom soup for recovery was fabulous, especially as Merciless and Robin were already waiting for us. The bonus was getting to slip the normally beautiful baby Berkeley her first chocolate chip cookie - her face looked like an IRA dirty protest by the end and her cream fluffy coat was trashed, but heck what are girlfriends for!

No comments:

Post a Comment