Monday, April 9, 2012

VAMPIRE POWERS

Taper brings with it Vampire Powers.  Like Edward and Bella you develop super enhanced powers, without even being aware of it.  I found out that one of the most important rules of taper is not changing anything except volume.  Lots debate how long to taper for marathon races, 2 or 3 weeks, fast or slow.  However I hold that intensity, rhythm and approach should remain the same, but your mileage should drop significantly.  Spring break always coincides with a major taper week for the Boston Marathon - and this brings its own challenges.  80f degree Mexico with all you can drink deals doesn't sound quite so appealing.  I know, I did that last year and it was great, but there was no marathon a week later, it was followed by detox and bill paying.  However, news of our impending relocation to San Francisco meant California was on the cards instead - which sounded like a good plan with its cooler temperatures and stunning landscape.  My Sunday tempo run had dialed down from 12.5 miles with 10 of them at half marathon pace, to a mere 8 miles, with 6 at half marathon pace.  As an added fun filled bonus I had L'il bitch for company as he had to keep his track legs on so early in the season - and we all know misery loves company.

After spending a night carousing in the hot tub with his old buddy Madi, I dragged a rather bleary and cynical looking son out onto one of the many contra costal pathways through Walnut Creek, led by our tour guide Pete, who wanted to chaperone us onto the right trail.  The air was cool and inviting and after a month of rain northern california looked glorious in all its mediterranean greens, with trailing roses and bougainvillea just blooming against a backdrop of palm trees.  L'il bitch expressed skepticism at his ability to keep up a 7.30 pace for 3 miles, so after a gentle warm up mile with his Dad and his bike riding tour guide we stopped for some dynamic stretching.  Starting the first half of the run with him I was amused to notice the first mile fly by at a 6.50 pace, and had to tell him to settle down, after all THIS WAS TAPER, and it was all about me, not him.  I reminded myself as vociferously as I had Q-Less before she went away, that all the hard work was in the bank, you couldn't make any fitness gains for a marathon two weeks before, all you can do is either draw down on the deposit or compromise it with an injury.  Leg turnover needed to be maintained and you need to keep the old metabolism going so you didn't die of flu, but othewise your bye word was definitely 'easy does it'.

There is something about the power of taper that fascinates.  Your legs keep turning over like a clock work toy and you have to physically stop yourself from running at a 'feel good pace' as it is way too fast.  After all the weeks of running back to back days of long mileage or tough work outs your legs can't believe they feel that easy and there is a huge temptation to give in and just enjoy the run and cartwheel down the grassy banks and turns of the Walnut Creek trails.  But come the 16th of April I knew I would have to stand on that start line and know I didn't siphon off any money from the bank that day, no matter how good it would have felt.  Instead, I held back and showed uncharacteristic restraint - come mile 21 I will be able to add that little memory to my mental artillery and shout back at the course 'I saved some for you!'

No comments:

Post a Comment